Dahi Vada in Odisha
One of the famous street foods in Odisha is Dahi Vada Aloodum. Odia People get water in their mouth by just hearing the name, isn't it? So Here is the List of ingredients and Cooking Process of this spoon-licking dish.
Ingredients for Dahi Vada:
1 cup of Urad Dal
2 cups of yogurt/ curd
2 thin slices of ginger, finely chopped
4-5 chopped green chilies
1/4 teaspoon black salt
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 cup refined oil for deep frying
1 tablespoon Chaat Masala
1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon dhania powder
4-5 Curry leaves (Optional, For Tadka)
4-5 dry red chilies (Optional, For Tadka)
Salt as required
Pepper as required
1) Soak the Urad dal after rinsing thoroughly in enough water in a bowl overnight or for 4-5 hours at least.
2) Drain the water and add the lentils in a grinder with a little bit of water. (dry lentils are hard to grind; blades may get damaged.)
3) To the Grinder, add chopped green chillies, chopped ginger and cumin seeds.
4) Now grind all of them to a smooth batter adding little amount of water at intervals.
5) Now take the batter into a bowl and start stirring it briskly for 5-6 minutes to make it light, airy and fluffy. (Note: Don’t add salt in the batter at this stage, as the salt will make it watery causing problems while frying in oil.) And They should be fried immediately after beating the batter.
6) Heat a Pan/ Kadai with oil for deep frying. While it starts heating up slowly, take a handful of batter and using both the palms turn them into the shape of Vadas.
7) When the oil is medium hot, add the vadas and wait for them to turn into golden brown and crispy. (Fry in batches giving them space to cook from all the sides)
8) Cook from both the sides and take it out once done on paper towel lined plate (tissue paper on a plate) to remove excess oil, if any.
9) After frying the Vadas, soak them in salt water to make them softer as they will soak up the water.
10) After soaking for about 20-25 minutes, squeeze each one of it lightly to remove excess water. This should be done gently otherwise Vadas will get break.
11) Now Take all the vadas in a plate and add yogurt from the top to cover them fully. You can also add flavoured yogurt if you want.
12) Sprinkle some red chili powder, Chaat masala, roasted dhania powder. Serve the dahi vada immediately. Or you can refrigerate it.
13) Optional: (For the Tadka, I do this every time)- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry chillies. When everything starts to leave aroma, turn the gas off and directly transfer them over the Vadas, covered with yogurt.
14) Optional: To make the recipe fancier and more flavourful, you can add tamarind paste and green chutney on the top. Here is a detailed process of how to make Tamarind Chutney and Green Chutney.
~You can make the vadas a day or two in advance, allow them to cool off completely and then store them in airtight containers in refrigerator. When you want to serve dip them in warm salt water and follow the same steps as above to prepare the dish.
~If you want to serve the vadas in a few hours, you can soak them, drain and store in airtight container in refrigerator. When ready to serve just top with yogurt, chutney and spices and you are good to go.
~If you leave Dahi vada for long it may leave water so preferably add yogurt only when you want to serve.