Delicious Manchurian balls served with hot homemade soup.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
For Manchurian Balls
½ cup finely chopped cabbage
½ cup of grated carrot
½ cup finely chopped bell peppers (Red, Yellow, Green)
½ cup finely chopped French beans
½ cup finely chopped spring onions (Optional)
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
½ teaspoon pepper, coarsely crushed
Salt as needed
2 tablespoon maida (All-purpose flour)
2 tablespoon Cornflour/ Corn-starch
Oil as required for shallow/ deep frying
1 tablespoon oil
For Manchurian Gravy
2 table spoon finely chopped onion
½ tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
½ tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Tomato ketchup
½ tablespoon soya sauce
2 tablespoon red chilli sauce
1 teaspoon regular white vinegar
1 cup of vegetable stock or water
Salt as required
¼ teaspoon sugar (Taste enhancer)
4-5 Coriander leaves (For garnishing)
5-6 onion rings (For garnishing)
Making Manchurian Balls
1. In a bowl, add all the finely chopped and grated vegetables.
2. To the bowl, add cornflour, maida, crushed black pepper, salt, minced garlic and finely chopped ginger in the required amount as mentioned above.
3. Mix the whole mixture so that the veggies get coated with corn flour, maida and other ingredients.
4. Then knead the mixture so that the veggies leave water and you get a dough like mixture. If its dry, then you may add a little spoon of water in between kneading. Make sure the ingredients stick to each other properly. (Not too dry, not too wet)
5. Take a small portion of the mixture in your hands, press and roll it using your palm to make a round veggie ball. Make several balls like this using the mixture.
6. Now heat oil in a pan until its medium hot, and add the balls into it for frying. Make sure the balls don’t stick to one another and fry from every side.
7. Fry the balls till they have become crisp and golden.
8. Now remove the balls into a kitchen paper towel/ tissue paper with the help of a perforated spoon (the one you use for frying purpose) and let it absorb the excess oil.
Making Manchurian Gravy
1. In a small bowl, mix all the sauces and ketchup. Keep the bowl aside.
2. In another bowl, take 1 tbsp cornflour. Add 2 tbsp water it and mix properly to make it lump-free.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan or wok. Add finely chopped onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies to it. Stir it well in medium heat until it becomes translucent and you get a nice aroma.
4. Now add the Sauce mixture to it and give it a stir as well.
5. At this stage, add 1-1.5 cups of water keeping your consistency preference in mind.
6. When the mixture starts to boil, add the Cornflour-water mixture to it and continue to stir.
7. Put it in sim and allow the gravy to thicken slowly while stirring in between.
8. When it starts thickening, add crushed black pepper, salt and a pinch of sugar to it.
9. Then add the fried Manchurian balls to it along with 1 teaspoon regular white vinegar.
10. Gently stir and coat the balls with the gravy.
11. Switch the flame off, and garnish with spring onions or onion rings.
~ Don’t overheat the oil while frying the Manchurian balls, as they won’t be cooked properly. Less hot oil would make the balls absorb too much oil, and you definitely don’t want that. So, Experiment with one ball at first to know the oil temperature.
~ While adding salt to the gravy, please keep in mind that, soya sauce, Ketchup and chilli sauce have salt in them. Accordingly, add less salt.
~ If you do not want to make the gravy at your home, you can simply opt for Knorr Manchurian Soup mix which is easily available in the market. Just follow the instructions and prepare the gravy in 3 minutes.